Cabinet Refacing 101: How To DIY
If your kitchen cabinets are old and damaged, everything you store there can be at risk. And let’s not even mention how that look can make the entire kitchen feel like an uncomfortable space. Maybe you want to do remodel, but let’s face it, it isn’t affordable for everyone.
However, a new coat of paint or varnish can do wonders to improve the overall look and feel of the room. But what if you’re looking for something more drastic? Cabinet refacing is a great way to give your kitchen an entirely new look without spending a fortune or gutting the room completely. Keep reading to learn how to go DIY!
7 Steps To DIY Cabinet Refacing
1. Plan Everything & Order The Materials: This is the most important step! You need to take accurate measurements, order the right amount of supplies, and ensure you have everything you need before starting.
2. Make Sure To Prepare The Cabinets: Once you have all your materials, it’s time to prep the cabinets. This includes removing all the doors and hardware, sanding down rough spots, and cleaning them thoroughly.
3. Now You Have To Make Plywood Panels: This is probably the most time-consuming part of the process. You need to cut the panels to the correct size and shape to fit snugly against the cabinet frames.
4. Then Cut & Apply Veneer: After you cut the panels, it’s time to apply the veneer. You need to be very careful with this step, as it’s easy to mess up.
Cut the veneer to size, then apply it to the panels with wood glue. Use a bristle brush to smooth it out, then let it dry. Repeat this process for all the panels. Do the same thing for the doors, but be extra careful not to damage the veneer.
5. Finish The Cabinets’ Doors: The final step is to finish the doors. You can either paint them or stain them, depending on the look you’re going for. Paint will give you a more uniform look, while stain will bring out the natural beauty of the wood.
6. Assemble Everything: Now it’s time to put everything back together. Start by attaching the hinges to the doors, then hang them back up on the cabinets. Make sure everything is level and even, then screw the doors in place.
Reattach all the hardware, and that’s it! You’ve successfully refaced your cabinets and given your kitchen a whole new look.
FAQs About Cabinet Refacing
Is It Hard To Execute?
Cabinet refacing can be as simple or complex as you make it. It really depends on the materials you use and how much of the cabinet you want to replace. How much time you put into the project is essential too.
Is It Expensive To Go DIY?
If you want a high-quality result, it can be costly. It can be less expensive depending on the quality and quantity of your chosen materials. However, it’s better if you invest a little more in certified materials.
Should I Hire A Professional To Do It?
Hiring professionals will always be the best solution if you can afford it. They will get the job done quickly and efficiently. Also, they can give you peace of mind that they’ll do it correctly.
Work With Professional Remodeling Contractors In Irving, TX
If you’ve been looking for cabinet ideas and how to do DIY projects, but nothing guarantees amazing results, we got you. Pro Brush Painting & Remodeling has the best contractors in Irving, TX. We have 12+ years of experience helping homeowners with their painting, staining, and remodeling projects.
We can help you achieve your goals with our cabinet refacing services. We only use high-quality materials and top-notch tools, so you can be sure that the results will exceed your expectations. Contact us today toay to schedule a consultation!